Wikia

Teen Wolf Wiki

Kitsune and Nogitsune Mythology Breakdown! (The Thirteen Species included)

  • In Japanese mythology, there exist 2 different classifications and 13 different species of kitsune. 

    Classifications - Zenko (Literal meaning, "good foxes"), benevolent, celestial foxes associated with the god Inari, sometimes called Inari foxes, (i.e., Kira) and Yako (Literal meaning, "field foxes", commonly referred to as nogitsune), mischievous or even malicious foxes. (i.e., Stiles) Physically, kitsunes are noted for having 9 tails. Generally, a greater number of tails indicates an older, more powerful kitsune. (In some folktales say a kitsune will grow additional tails after it has lived 100 years) 1, 7, and 9 are the most common numbers in folktales. When a kitsune gains its 9th tail, its fur becomes gold or white. These kyubi no kitsune (Literal meaning, "nine-tailed foxes) gain the ability to see and hear anything happening anywhere in the world. Other tales attribute to infinite wisdom. (Omniscience) 

    Species -The kitsune are an aspect of the elements, meaning that they have ties to their abilities from each of these. The elements are broken down into 13 categories and the kitsune are divided into each type: Kaze (Wind), Chikyu (Earth), Kasai (Fire), Kawa (River), Tengoku (Heaven), Sanda (Thunder), Yama (Mountain), Kukan (Void), Seishin (Spirit), Jikan (Time), Mori (Forest), Umi (Ocean), and Ongaku (Music). Each kitsune has its own strength and weaknesses, based on the element it is assigned to. The element reflects where the kitsune's power originates, what affinities it has in the elements. For example, a Fire Kitsune (Zenko Kasai) would be unaffected by fire, could easily feed from the element of fire to strengthen itself, and would use fox fire with ease. However, a water kitsune (Zenko Umi) would not use fire too well, but would be a natural healer, and would thrive near or in water. 

    With all of this being said, what do you think Kira's species is? Stiles? Will we see more kitsunes/nogitsunes?

    If you are interested in learning more about kitsunes/nogitsunes, please click here. :) A kudos for all the research would be appreciated lol.

    -- KLP

      Loading editor
    • I think this is cool. I'm gonna be generic and think she's a fire kitsune since electricity burns us like fire? Lol, that or Sanda Kitsune. Sanda seems more appropriate I guess in terms of the electricity stunt she pulled. Stiles I'm gonna say Kukan lol but that's again something I think is too easy to think when it comes to Jeff Davis. 

      Cool research!

        Loading editor
    • i really like this because the nogitsune that the oni were after in silverfinger (when chris argent was younger) went behind the water fountain so maybe it was kawa or something? 

        Loading editor
    • RonDavisJr wrote:
      I think this is cool. I'm gonna be generic and think she's a fire kitsune since electricity burns us like fire? Lol, that or Sanda Kitsune. Sanda seems more appropriate I guess in terms of the electricity stunt she pulled. Stiles I'm gonna say Kukan lol but that's again something I think is too easy to think when it comes to Jeff Davis. 

      Cool research!

      That's what I'm thinking as well. Davis always puts his own little twist on the mythology in Teen Wolf, so who really knows? Haha. Thanks!

        Loading editor
    • Lilsavo527 wrote:
      i really like this because the nogitsune that the oni were after in silverfinger (when chris argent was younger) went behind the water fountain so maybe it was kawa or something? 

      Me too. :) If he was possessed by a water nogitsune, it would be Kawa Yako.

        Loading editor
    • 108.201.172.92 wrote:
      Lilsavo527 wrote:
      i really like this because the nogitsune that the oni were after in silverfinger (when chris argent was younger) went behind the water fountain so maybe it was kawa or something? 
      Me too. :) If he was possessed by a water nogitsune, it would be Kawa Yako.

      Yea it cold be possible that stiles is tengoku kukan or mori

        Loading editor
    • Lilsavo527 wrote:
      108.201.172.92 wrote:
      Lilsavo527 wrote:
      i really like this because the nogitsune that the oni were after in silverfinger (when chris argent was younger) went behind the water fountain so maybe it was kawa or something? 
      Me too. :) If he was possessed by a water nogitsune, it would be Kawa Yako.
      Yea it cold be possible that stiles is tengoku kukan or mori

      Yeah, I'm not sure which one yet... my money is on Kukan, but I won't be 100% sure until I see what element(s) he can manipulate. Monday can't get here soon enough. 

        Loading editor
    • 108.201.172.92 wrote:
      Lilsavo527 wrote:
      108.201.172.92 wrote:
      Lilsavo527 wrote:
      i really like this because the nogitsune that the oni were after in silverfinger (when chris argent was younger) went behind the water fountain so maybe it was kawa or something? 
      Me too. :) If he was possessed by a water nogitsune, it would be Kawa Yako.
      Yea it cold be possible that stiles is tengoku kukan or mori
      Yeah, I'm not sure which one yet... my money is on Kukan, but I won't be 100% sure until I see what element(s) he can manipulate. Monday can't get here soon enough. 

      haha yea i feel you 

        Loading editor
    • Wow, thanks a lot for this. I think Kira is either Tengoku (heaven or as they called it on the show, celestial) or Kasai (fire). Also, I think in teen wolf the nogitsune is a kind of kitsune, more precisely the kukan (void) one (that's what I understood from the episode).

        Loading editor
    • Neilandio wrote:
      Wow, thanks a lot for this. I think Kira is either Tengoku (heaven or as they called it on the show, celestial) or Kasai (fire). Also, I think in teen wolf the nogitsune is a kind of kitsune, more precisely the kukan (void) one (that's what I understood from the episode).


      I think its more likely Kira is a Sanda or thunder kitsune.

        Loading editor
    • Neilandio wrote:
      Wow, thanks a lot for this. I think Kira is either Tengoku (heaven or as they called it on the show, celestial) or Kasai (fire). Also, I think in teen wolf the nogitsune is a kind of kitsune, more precisely the kukan (void) one (that's what I understood from the episode).

      It's no trouble on my part at all. :) I'm gonna try to do this for every new creature we see on the show. In my opinion, Kira is a Sanda because of the incident with Barron, but I don't know, your guess is as good as mine. 

      Yes, nogitsune is a kind of kitsune, but it does not neccessarily mean its species (Or element) is Kukan (Kitsunes that manipulate shadows, similar to the Onis aka VOID, but that does not mean they are evil), according to the mythology. A kitsune being good or evil is dependent on its classification. (Zenko, "good foxes"; Yako, "field foxes", nogitsune) I know, it's confusing, hope I helped. :)

        Loading editor
    • Guys do you think we will actually see the kitsune/nogitsune in it's real form? Or will we just see those who are possessed by it

        Loading editor
    • 108.201.172.92 wrote:
      Neilandio wrote:
      Wow, thanks a lot for this. I think Kira is either Tengoku (heaven or as they called it on the show, celestial) or Kasai (fire). Also, I think in teen wolf the nogitsune is a kind of kitsune, more precisely the kukan (void) one (that's what I understood from the episode).
      It's no trouble on my part at all. :) I'm gonna try to do this for every new creature we see on the show. In my opinion, Kira is a Sanda because of the incident with Barron, but I don't know, your guess is as good as mine. 

      Yes, nogitsune is a kind of kitsune, but it does not neccessarily mean its species (Or element) is Kukan (Kitsunes that manipulate shadows, similar to the Onis aka VOID, but that does not mean they are evil), according to the mythology. A kitsune being good or evil is dependent on its classification. (Zenko, "good foxes"; Yako, "field foxes", nogitsune) I know, it's confusing, hope I helped. :)

      Actually, my bad Neilandio, I had to go back to the episode to see what silverfinger said. In the episode, he says that "they call it void or nogitsune", so in Teen Wolf the void element may be exclusive to the Yako. (Nogitsune) Your guess is as good as mine because if that's true, Davis is beginning to put his own twist on the mythology like he normally does lol. According to the traditional mythology, a kitsune of either class (Zenko, good and Yako/Nogitsune, evil) can be put into any element, including void. 

        Loading editor
    • Just throwing this out there, we don't know that styles is the Nogitsune.  We know that the oni are looking for someone, but he could be a whole other creature. The way Silverfinger said, even if it is your daughter, made me wonder if he might know something more.

        Loading editor
    • I'm thinking Kira is either a Zenko Kasai (Fire) or Zenko Sanda (Thunder)

      Stiles, I figure is probably Kukan (Void), like they mentioned on the show. Seishin (Spirit), is a possibility too though, as is Jikan (Time). I can't put into words why I was drawn to Seishin, other than Druids, and Banshees, have a lot to do with spirits. But Jikan has to do with time, and time seems very malleable in dreams in general, and in this season. Stiles also has been blacking out and 'losing time' so that might be possible.

      Something else to consider, the more I think about it, would be Mori (Forest) because all this started up when they woke up the Nemeton, in the forest. Btw, do we know when the Nemeton was cut down and by whom? Maybe, and this is only a theory that just popped in my head as I type, when the Nemeton got cut down, it ticked off/released a Mori, that proceeded to possess Claudia, it somehow got retied to the tree after Claudia died, and once they rewoke the Nemeton up it possessed Stiles? I know, it sounds weird and out there, and probably makes no sense outside of my own mind

        Loading editor
    • LadyX wrote:
      I'm thinking Kira is either a Zenko Kasai (Fire) or Zenko Sanda (Thunder)

      Stiles, I figure is probably Kukan (Void), like they mentioned on the show. Seishin (Spirit), is a possibility too though, as is Jikan (Time). I can put into words why I was drawn to Seishin, other than Druids, and Banshees, have a lot to do with spirits. But Jikan has to do with time, and time seems very malleable in dreams in general, and in this season. Stiles also has been blacking out and 'losing time' so that might be possible.

      Something else to consider, the more I think about it, would be Mori (Forest) because all this started up when they woke up the Nemeton, in the forest. Btw, do we know when the Nemeton was cut down and by whom? Maybe, and this is only a theory that just popped in my head, when the Nemeton got cut down, it ticked off/released a Mori, that proceeded to possess Claudia, it somehow got retied to the tree after Claudia died, and once they rewoke it up it possessed Stiles? I know, it sounds weird and out there, and probably makes no sense outside of my own mind

      Wow, that's a legitimate theory. Your guess is as good as anyones until it's seen on the show, who knows, you could be 100% correct lol. I believe Kira is Sanda (Thunder) as well, based off of the electrical incident with Barron. I have no clue what species Stiles is being controlled by, my best guesses are Kukan (Void), Mori (Forest), or Jikan (Time), but it could be any of the 13. 

        Loading editor
    • ^ thanks!

        Loading editor
    • For some reson the jikan (time) stood out to me...for Stiles

      I understand if stiles was sleep walking, but when the numbers and key appered he was with Lidya. I would think she would have seen something. 

      and i think the number messges wasnt for barrow. it makes no sence he dosnt know who kira was! and he didnt have time to check the records. It could have been the stiles (in the futuer) will be able to jump though time. and was able to leave himself cules to help fight...

      If stiles is being controled, barrow could be too... 

      because off what we have seen if stiles wanted kira dead he could have done to himself a LONG time ago..

        Loading editor
    • 99.135.161.210 wrote:
      For some reson the jikan (time) stood out to me...for Stiles

      I understand if stiles was sleep walking, but when the numbers and key appered he was with Lidya. I would think she would have seen something. 

      and i think the number messges wasnt for barrow. it makes no sence he dosnt know who kira was! and he didnt have time to check the records. It could have been the stiles (in the futuer) will be able to jump though time. and was able to leave himself cules to help fight...

      If stiles is being controled, barrow could be too... 

      because off what we have seen if stiles wanted kira dead he could have done to himself a LONG time ago..

      He found numbers and keys while with lydia but thats not saying they just appeared.  I doubt they're going to put time travel or the ability to stop time.  Its clear that stiles already had some access to the school . Its more than likely that at one point in time during his hallucinations that he wrote the message for barrow who as an electric engineer would have the basic understanding of the periodic table.  Also its clear that barrow got the message because he targeted kira at the school.  Also stiles couldnt have done it a long time ago. They just met kira and he also isnt being possesed all the time and literally like 4 days has passed this season.

        Loading editor
    • The problem is Stiles is too powerful. He defeated 3 Oni at once. While, I believe the Oni won't has much problem killing nogetsune previously.

        Loading editor
    • 210.195.61.91 wrote: The problem is Stiles is too powerful. He defeated 3 Oni at once. While, I believe the Oni won't has much problem killing nogetsune previously.

      He could easily be being possessed by an older more powerful Nogitsune, the Nogitsune could be getting a boost from Stiles' Spark, or it could've even got a boost from the Nemeton.

        Loading editor
    • LadyX wrote:

      210.195.61.91 wrote: The problem is Stiles is too powerful. He defeated 3 Oni at once. While, I believe the Oni won't has much problem killing nogetsune previously.

      He could easily be being possessed by an older more powerful Nogitsune, the Nogitsune could be getting a boost from Stiles' Spark, or it could've even got a boost from the Nemeton.

      Exactly, people don't understand how strong a kitsune or nogitsune can become with age. (and wisdom) In its mythology, its said that when old enough, it gains the power to hear and see anything happening in the world, some tales say they gain omniscience, the ability to know everything. Some kitsune and nogitsune are of the Kukan (Void) species which means they are able to manipulate the shadows, Onis come from the shadows... maybe Stiles is being possessed by an old Kukan Yako? (Void Nogitsune)

        Loading editor
    • 108.201.172.92 wrote:

      LadyX wrote:

      210.195.61.91 wrote: The problem is Stiles is too powerful. He defeated 3 Oni at once. While, I believe the Oni won't has much problem killing nogetsune previously.

      He could easily be being possessed by an older more powerful Nogitsune, the Nogitsune could be getting a boost from Stiles' Spark, or it could've even got a boost from the Nemeton.

      Exactly, people don't understand how strong a kitsune or nogitsune can become with age. (and wisdom) In its mythology, its said that when old enough, it gains the power to hear and see anything happening in the world, some tales say they gain omniscience, the ability to know everything. Some kitsune and nogitsune are of the Kukan (Void) species which means they are able to manipulate the shadows, Onis come from the shadows... maybe Stiles is being possessed by an old Kukan Yako? (Void Nogitsune)

      Ohh, I didn't realize Void Kitsune/Nogitsune could manipulate shadows. Then that definitely makes sense that Possessed Stiles could defeat them, if that's the type he is.

      Hey,,so what's up with the two different names? Void Nogitsune, and Kukan Yako? I mean, it can't just be one being an English translation, neither Nogitsune or Kitsune are English words...

        Loading editor
    • I don't know, to be honest lmao. I think Kukan Yako is how the word is pronounced in Japanese (Because they don't use words like we do, they use symbols) and Void Nogitsune is the English wording and pronunciation, if that makes any sense lol. 

      Yeah, that's what I think he is possessed by too. If you go here it breaks down the 13 different species or races of kitsune, including their powers. :) 

        Loading editor
    • LadyX wrote:

      108.201.172.92 wrote:

      LadyX wrote:

      210.195.61.91 wrote: The problem is Stiles is too powerful. He defeated 3 Oni at once. While, I believe the Oni won't has much problem killing nogetsune previously.

      He could easily be being possessed by an older more powerful Nogitsune, the Nogitsune could be getting a boost from Stiles' Spark, or it could've even got a boost from the Nemeton.
      Exactly, people don't understand how strong a kitsune or nogitsune can become with age. (and wisdom) In its mythology, its said that when old enough, it gains the power to hear and see anything happening in the world, some tales say they gain omniscience, the ability to know everything. Some kitsune and nogitsune are of the Kukan (Void) species which means they are able to manipulate the shadows, Onis come from the shadows... maybe Stiles is being possessed by an old Kukan Yako? (Void Nogitsune)

      Ohh, I didn't realize Void Kitsune/Nogitsune could manipulate shadows. Then that definitely makes sense that Possessed Stiles could defeat them, if that's the type he is.

      Hey,,so what's up with the two different names? Void Nogitsune, and Kukan Yako? I mean, it can't just be one being an English translation, neither Nogitsune or Kitsune are English words...


      Kitsune is the actual japanese word for fox. Yako is a fox spirit that posseses people generaly in a family line, when the current person possessed can no longer host the spirit it generally travels to the next person in the family line. Kukan is japanese for the word void. When you say Kukan yako your saying a void fox spirit of possession. If you say void kitsune your just saying void fox.

        Loading editor
    • A nogitsune is merely a kitsune that doesnt follow the rules.

        Loading editor
    • Bigwolfonbase wrote:

      LadyX wrote:

      108.201.172.92 wrote:

      LadyX wrote:

      210.195.61.91 wrote: The problem is Stiles is too powerful. He defeated 3 Oni at once. While, I believe the Oni won't has much problem killing nogetsune previously.

      He could easily be being possessed by an older more powerful Nogitsune, the Nogitsune could be getting a boost from Stiles' Spark, or it could've even got a boost from the Nemeton.
      Exactly, people don't understand how strong a kitsune or nogitsune can become with age. (and wisdom) In its mythology, its said that when old enough, it gains the power to hear and see anything happening in the world, some tales say they gain omniscience, the ability to know everything. Some kitsune and nogitsune are of the Kukan (Void) species which means they are able to manipulate the shadows, Onis come from the shadows... maybe Stiles is being possessed by an old Kukan Yako? (Void Nogitsune)

      Ohh, I didn't realize Void Kitsune/Nogitsune could manipulate shadows. Then that definitely makes sense that Possessed Stiles could defeat them, if that's the type he is.

      Hey,,so what's up with the two different names? Void Nogitsune, and Kukan Yako? I mean, it can't just be one being an English translation, neither Nogitsune or Kitsune are English words...


      Kitsune is the actual japanese word for fox. Yako is a fox spirit that posseses people generaly in a family line, when the current person possessed can no longer host the spirit it generally travels to the next person in the family line. Kukan is japanese for the word void. When you say Kukan yako your saying a void fox spirit of possession. If you say void kitsune your just saying void fox.

      Thank you!

        Loading editor
    • @Paul.rea, why did you delete my topics for this thread? I want people to be able to find it through the kitsune page. (And Stiles's, Kira's, etc.) :/ 

        Loading editor
    • 108.201.172.92 wrote:
      @Paul.rea, why did you delete my topics for this thread? I want people to be able to find it through the kitsune page. (And Stiles's, Kira's, etc.) :/ 

      The information doesn't pertain to known facts about Teen Wolf - and as such should not be linked to our article pages.

        Loading editor
    • Paul.rea wrote:
      108.201.172.92 wrote:
      @Paul.rea, why did you delete my topics for this thread? I want people to be able to find it through the kitsune page. (And Stiles's, Kira's, etc.) :/ 

      The information doesn't pertain to known facts about Teen Wolf - and as such should not be linked to our article pages.

      Did Teen Wolf not mention the 13 different types of kitsune in Silverfinger?... Shouldn't people know the traditional mythology of the kitsune? 

        Loading editor
    • 108.201.172.92 wrote:
      Paul.rea wrote:
      108.201.172.92 wrote:
      @Paul.rea, why did you delete my topics for this thread? I want people to be able to find it through the kitsune page. (And Stiles's, Kira's, etc.) :/ 
      The information doesn't pertain to known facts about Teen Wolf - and as such should not be linked to our article pages.
      Did Teen Wolf not mention the 13 different types of kitsune in Silverfinger?... Shouldn't people know the traditional mythology of the kitsune? 

      No, he mentioned about four or five. I was really counting, and I think the anom who started this, said what they said on teen wolf. 

        Loading editor
    • ~Ka'ohu~ wrote:

      108.201.172.92 wrote:
      Paul.rea wrote:
      108.201.172.92 wrote:
      @Paul.rea, why did you delete my topics for this thread? I want people to be able to find it through the kitsune page. (And Stiles's, Kira's, etc.) :/ 
      The information doesn't pertain to known facts about Teen Wolf - and as such should not be linked to our article pages.
      Did Teen Wolf not mention the 13 different types of kitsune in Silverfinger?... Shouldn't people know the traditional mythology of the kitsune? 

      No, he mentioned about four or five. I was really counting, and I think the anom who started this, said what they said on teen wolf. 

      I don't recall an actual number, Derek just said "she probably doesn't even know what type she is" and the Yakuza telling us about the Nogitsune

        Loading editor
    • ~Ka'ohu~ wrote:
      108.201.172.92 wrote:
      Paul.rea wrote:
      108.201.172.92 wrote:
      @Paul.rea, why did you delete my topics for this thread? I want people to be able to find it through the kitsune page. (And Stiles's, Kira's, etc.) :/ 
      The information doesn't pertain to known facts about Teen Wolf - and as such should not be linked to our article pages.
      Did Teen Wolf not mention the 13 different types of kitsune in Silverfinger?... Shouldn't people know the traditional mythology of the kitsune? 
      No, he mentioned about four or five. I was really counting, and I think the anom who started this, said what they said on teen wolf. 


      I'm the anon that started this, I never said that they stated any of this on Teen Wolf, was just breaking down the traditional mythology, that is all. I just wanted to make an extension to the wikia page of the kitsune, giving the viewers an in-depth look on the real life mythology of it. In Silverfinger, they definitely stated that their are 13 different types of kitsune.

        Loading editor
    • Okay @Paul.rea, can I least put kitsune in the topics? This is just an extension of the real life mythology on that wikia, after all.

      If your not okay with that, you can just change it back, I won't mess with it anymore :)

        Loading editor
    • LadyX wrote:


      ~Ka'ohu~ wrote:


      108.201.172.92 wrote:
      Paul.rea wrote:
      108.201.172.92 wrote:
      @Paul.rea, why did you delete my topics for this thread? I want people to be able to find it through the kitsune page. (And Stiles's, Kira's, etc.) :/ 
      The information doesn't pertain to known facts about Teen Wolf - and as such should not be linked to our article pages.
      Did Teen Wolf not mention the 13 different types of kitsune in Silverfinger?... Shouldn't people know the traditional mythology of the kitsune? 
      No, he mentioned about four or five. I was really counting, and I think the anom who started this, said what they said on teen wolf. 
      I don't recall an actual number, Derek just said "she probably doesn't even know what type she is" and the Yakuza telling us about the Nogitsune

      "Silverfinger says there are 13 varieties of kitsune. He names four – Celestial, Wild, Ocean, and Thunder then explains about the 'dark Kitsune'. He says 'They call it Void or Nogitsune' he explains that they possess a host and draw power from pain and tragedy, strife and chaos. The Oni seek out the Nogitsune."

      That's right from the Silverfinger full recap. :) Teen Wolf always puts its own little twist on the traditional mythology, so the types may not be 100% the same, but their are definitely 13 types of kitsune, in both Teen Wolf and folklore. 

        Loading editor
    • Whoever said only four were mentioned is an idiot. Silverfinger clearly said theres 13 types of kitsunes. Derek is the one who only named four of them. Get a grip and stop deleting things because they aren't going your way. 

        Loading editor
    • 173.169.159.156 wrote:
      Whoever said only four were mentioned is an idiot. Silverfinger clearly said theres 13 types of kitsunes. Derek is the one who only named four of them. Get a grip and stop deleting things because they aren't going your way. 

      Woah man, calm down. @Paul.rea can delete whatever he wants... he runs the wikia. :X Even though, yeah, I'd like for this to remain on the Kitsune's main page, so people can know the traditional mythology. :/ @~Ka'ohu~ just didn't remember what Silverfinger said, it's all good. 

        Loading editor
    • 173.169.159.156 wrote:
      Whoever said only four were mentioned is an idiot. Silverfinger clearly said theres 13 types of kitsunes. Derek is the one who only named four of them. Get a grip and stop deleting things because they aren't going your way. 


      From our Silverfinger article here on the Encyclopedia Teen Wolf:

      "Silverfinger says there are 13 varieties of kitsune. He names four – Celestial, Wild, Ocean, and Thunder then explains about the "dark Kitsune". He says "They call it Void or "Nogitsune" he explains that they possess a host and draw power from pain and tragedy, strife and chaos. The Oni seek out the Nogitsune."
        Loading editor
    • Hello there.

      As the writer of Foxtrot's Guide to Kitsune Lore, the first web site to mention kitsune in English and provide information about them - I thought I'd speak up here.  I wrote that in 1997, when there was perhaps two or three books on kitsune lore (now selling for thousands of dollars), and almost no information to be gained.  A lot of the web pages out there about kitsune draw from my page (since it was, as I said, the first), and unfortunately, my research wasn't as in depth then as it is now.  So, short form:

      13 types.  Yes, according to my original source material, there are 13 types of kitsune.  What are they?  Not necessarily associated with the elements.  Some are, in a fashion, but not as clear-cut as I had originally put.  I had actually asked someone online to research what the 13 types were, and they told me 'elements' and gave me a list.  In my 15+ years since looking into kitsune, I have found no Japanese source material to verify that these 13 kitsune are associated with 'elements'.

      What I do know:  There are celestial foxes (also called 'shrine foxes' black and white), there are air foxes, there are 'benevolent' foxes, and 'bad' foxes.  There are spirit foxes and ghost foxes.  The nogitsune are 'bad foxes'.  There is a lot of overlap between these.  I wrote an RPG, 'Fox Magic', inspired by my further research, and I completely avoided the 'elemental' aspect because, I felt, unless I was able to find solid evidence that this is true, I shouldn't put it into the game.

      That being said?  I'm reasonably certain that the information from my page (or a page which has drawn information from my page) was used as source material for Teen Wolf.  I'm really happy about this, if it is true.  And if some of the information is 'off' (Ocean and Thunder Kitsune?)  so what?  Teen Wolf has done an excellent job with the storytelling, and I'm more than happy to sit back and enjoy the show.  (They did a much better job than Supernatural did with kitsune... seriously).

      Have fun out there!  :)

        Loading editor
    • Oh, and if anyone has questions, give me a shout.  :)  I'm more than willing to share what I can.

      Manipulating Shadows - Kitsune are natural illusionists, and can perform something akin to a faerie's glamour.  The illusions they make are just as 'real' as the real things.  Only an enlightened individual can really see through these illusions.  These illusions are 'real' and 'not real' at the same time.  If the illusion has a physical component, it can become even more real.  A few bits of dirt and seeds can become an exellent meal.  River water can become wine.  A kitsune can also warp space.  A fox den can become a house, with multiple rooms.  A kitsune can make illusionary 'servants' who are just as real as the real thing - for as long as the kitsune wishes.

      Could a kitsune manipulate shadows?  Sure, why not?  It falls under fox magic, so I'd be more than willing to give that a hand wave.  :)  Would it be just the purview of the nogitsune?  Ehh, I'd not put money on that.

        Loading editor
    • 173.169.159.156 wrote:
      Whoever said only four were mentioned is an idiot. Silverfinger clearly said theres 13 types of kitsunes. Derek is the one who only named four of them. Get a grip and stop deleting things because they aren't going your way. 

      Okay, I meant Silverfinger named four or five. And I don't think Derek did, because Derek just said Kira probably didn't know which one she was yet. And please, calm down. People make mistakes, no need to be a jerk about it.

        Loading editor
    • 108.201.172.92 wrote:
      ~Ka'ohu~ wrote:
      108.201.172.92 wrote:
      Paul.rea wrote:
      108.201.172.92 wrote:
      @Paul.rea, why did you delete my topics for this thread? I want people to be able to find it through the kitsune page. (And Stiles's, Kira's, etc.) :/ 
      The information doesn't pertain to known facts about Teen Wolf - and as such should not be linked to our article pages.
      Did Teen Wolf not mention the 13 different types of kitsune in Silverfinger?... Shouldn't people know the traditional mythology of the kitsune? 
      No, he mentioned about four or five. I was really counting, and I think the anom who started this, said what they said on teen wolf. 

      I'm the anon that started this, I never said that they stated any of this on Teen Wolf, was just breaking down the traditional mythology, that is all. I just wanted to make an extension to the wikia page of the kitsune, giving the viewers an in-depth look on the real life mythology of it. In Silverfinger, they definitely stated that their are 13 different types of kitsune.

      Then I must have seen someone else type, sorry.

        Loading editor
    • My bet would be Tengoku(Heaven). This is because at the meet the family session with Kira and Scott, Kira's father has stated the Kira's mom family line was a very special one.

      With that being said, the Heaven attribute Kitsune is considered a "holy"/"priestess" of sort among the Kitsune species. Hence this should go in line with whats so special about Kira's family line.

      As to her sucking up electricity, well if she is considered heaven, namely celestial/sky, it would be natural for lightning to also be related to it. 

        Loading editor
    • 42.61.226.96 wrote: My bet would be Tengoku(Heaven). This is because at the meet the family session with Kira and Scott, Kira's father has stated the Kira's mom family line was a very special one.

      With that being said, the Heaven attribute Kitsune is considered a "holy"/"priestess" of sort among the Kitsune species. Hence this should go in line with whats so special about Kira's family line.

      As to her sucking up electricity, well if she is considered heaven, namely celestial/sky, it would be natural for lightning to also be related to it. 

      You don't think having Kitsune in your family history in general would be special enough to be of note?

        Loading editor
    • The thing is, I don't see the family as being myobu (shrine foxes), so I'm reluctant to presume celestial.  I don't think they're byako kitsune or genko kitsune - the white and black shrine foxes of O-Inari.  I don't think they're reiko kitsune (ghost foxes), and I don't think they're yako/yakan kitsune ('bad foxes').   They're not vicious, so I'll rule out kuko kitsune (air foxes) as well.  That leaves shako kitsune (red foxes) and zenko kitsune (benevolent foxes).  Those two make the most sense - the shako foxes are kind of the 'common kitsune', while the zenko kitsune are the ones most associated with fox wives - they like helping people, they're orderly, and they get along well with people.

      The lightning thing is still a 'thing', kitsune bi, fox-fire, and a kitsune could, in theory, absorb the chi from those around it.  For Teen Wolf, I'm willing to hand-wave a lot, and presume 'it is a fox-type shapeshifter, with different strengths and weaknesses than a werewolf', and allow that there is a divine connection within the kitsune which give them a bit more 'oomph'.  Kira's a kami.  Her mother is also probably a kami.  It's all cool.

      Now, looking at this from another perspective - Scott's a werewolf.  A wolf is called an okami.  Okami can also mean 'great spirit' or 'god'.  The okami (wolf) was also seen as a divine messenger as well - and would be fiercely protective of certain individuals who were worthy, and horrifically brutal to those who were deserving of punishment.  The former sounds like Scott, the latter sounds like Derek, doesn't it?  ;)

        Loading editor
    • I think he is a Kukan (Void) because epiosde 22 is called De-Void.

        Loading editor
    • Kukan and Kuko are actually synonymous - 'void' also translates to 'sky' or 'heaven', and is essentially the 'air' foxes.  That being said, yes, Styles could be possessed by a kuko kitsune - they are dangerous and often considered hostile, and could be a possessive kitsune.  No argument here.

        Loading editor
    • I think that Kira is Zenko Sanda. In things like this, thunder and lightning go together, and since she did the thing with the electricity multiple times, it's probably her element.

        Loading editor
    • Honestly, I don't think kitsune have an 'element' as we identify it.  Zenko kitsune might fit Kira however, I won't argue that.  As for the kitsune-bi, that's something I think all foxes have, not any one specific type.

        Loading editor
    • Heaven: Also known as Celestial, or Prime, this is one of the examples of the 'High' elements. They are listed as one of the two most numerous types to exist. They are either considered very evil such as Tamamo-no-mae or benevolent and wise such as messengers to Inari. Most serve Inari. Celestial kitsune are myobu. 'Tenko

      ^Inari Ōkami (稲荷大神, also Oinari) is the Japanese kami ( god, deity, divinity, or spirit) of foxes, of fertilityricetea and Sake, of agriculture and industry)

      ( Myobu- Kitsune in service to Inari, the God of foxes. These are generally the “guardian” Kitsune. While typically colored white, also can be any other color even black, however the white myobu are the “purest” of the Kitsune.)

      ^(A Celestial fox (kitsune) that lives for 1000 years becomes a Tenko. They are able to see a thousand ri ahead. They have nine tails unlike the lower-ranked existences)

      Kira's mother is a Tenko, you can see in the Letharia Vulpina episode, in the history book there are 9 slots where her 9 tails were hidden. (5 were already used.. she used 2 more leaving 2 left :( )

      Void: Also known as the Dark kitsune, Void kitsune are the second of the 'High' kitsune. Void kitsunes are nogitsuneReiko.

      (Nogitsune– wild fox, used at one time to differ between good and bad foxes. At the time they used ‘kitsune’ to mean a good fox/messenger from Inari and nogitsune as all foxes who did mischief and tricked people. Not really considered evil, more like prankish.)

      ^(A Void fox (kitsune) can turn into Reiko(ghost fox) which are the supposed “evil” genus of Kitsune. These are the fox spirits who have indulged in their darker desires and live only to appease themselves. These Kitsune are affiliated with an element referred to as “void”, and generally have a black coat of fur.) While they do not officially bear any grudge against myobu, the Reiko and myobu Kitsune classes do not get along well. 

      Stile's is possesed by a Void kitsune (Reiko), look at this drawing on Stile's wall : 

      tumblr_inline_mzs75uGetV1qc9jdd.png

      The rest of the kitsune fall under 'wild kitsune', or 'low' kitsune. They were not singled out, but since these are the other elements found in oriental legends, and in legends of the kami, it is safe to assume that the kitsune also fall under these elements.

      Wind: Also known as air kitsune, or kuko. Most kuko are considered 'bad'. Kitsune have been known to appear as wind, or create mists or fog.

      SpiritKiko or koryo, another of the 'bad' kitsune, also called 'ghost foxes' or demon foxes.

      Fire, Earth, River, Ocean, Mountain, Forest, Thunder, Time, Sound: While these are the other elements that are listed in the orient as 'low' elements, I have no names for the kitsune of these regions. The tanuki and tengu are connected to some of these elements, however, and they can be used to draw parallels.

      Kira is a Thunder kitsune

        Loading editor
    • Heaven: Also known as Celestial, or Prime, this is one of the examples of the 'High' elements. They are listed as one of the two most numerous types to exist. They are either considered very evil such as Tamamo-no-mae or benevolent and wise such as messengers to Inari. Most serve Inari. Celestial kitsune are myobu. Tenko

      ^Inari Ōkami (稲荷大神, also Oinari) is the Japanese kami ( god, deity, divinity, or spirit) of foxes, of fertilityricetea and Sake, of agriculture and industry)

      ^( Myobu- Kitsune in service to Inari, the God of foxes. These are generally the “guardian” Kitsune. While typically colored white, also can be any other color even black, however the white myobu are the “purest” of the Kitsune.)

      ^(A Celestial fox (kitsune) that lives for 1000 years becomes a Tenko. They are able to see a thousand ri ahead. They have nine tails unlike the lower-ranked existences)

      Kira's mother is a Tenko, you can see in the Letharia Vulpina episode, in the history book there are 9 slots where her 9 tails were hidden. (5 were already used.. she used 2 more leaving 2 left :( )

      Void: Also known as the Dark kitsune, Void kitsune are the second of the 'High' kitsune. Void kitsunes are nogitsune'. Reiko.'

      (Nogitsune– wild fox, used at one time to differ between good and bad foxes. At the time they used ‘kitsune’ to mean a good fox/messenger from Inari and nogitsune as all foxes who did mischief and tricked people. Not really considered evil, more like prankish.)

      ^''(A Void fox ('kitsune') can turn into' 'Reiko'(ghost fox) which are the supposed “evil” genus of Kitsune. These are the fox spirits who have indulged in their darker desires and live only to appease themselves. These Kitsune are affiliated with an element referred to as “void”, and generally have a black coat of fur.) While they do not officially bear any grudge against myobu, the Reiko and myobu Kitsune classes do not get along well. '

      Stile's is possesed by a Void kitsune (Reiko), look at this drawing on Stile's wall : ''

      tumblr_inline_mzs75uGetV1qc9jdd.png''

      The rest of the kitsune fall under 'wild kitsune', or 'low' kitsune. They were not singled out, but since these are the other elements found in oriental legends, and in legends of the kami, it is safe to assume that the kitsune also fall under these elements.

      Wind'': Also known as air kitsune, or kuko. Most kuko are considered 'bad'. Kitsune have been known to appear as wind, or create mists or fog.

      Spirit''Kiko or koryo, another of the 'bad' kitsune, also called 'ghost foxes' or demon foxes.

      Fire, Earth, River, Ocean, Mountain, Forest, Thunder, Time, Sound'': While these are the other elements that are listed in the orient as 'low' elements, I have no names for the kitsune of these regions. The tanuki and tengu are connected to some of these elements, however, and they can be used to draw parallels.



      Kira is a Thunder Kitsune

      (RE-UPLOADED SORRY FOR BLACK FONT ON PREVIOUS POST)

        Loading editor
    • Heaven: Also known as Celestial, or Prime, this is one of the examples of the 'High' elements. They are listed as one of the two most numerous types to exist. They are either considered very evil such as Tamamo-no-mae or benevolent and wise such as messengers to Inari. Most serve Inari. Celestial kitsune are myobu. Tenko

      ^Inari Ōkami (稲荷大神, also Oinari) is the Japanese kami ( god, deity, divinity, or spirit) of foxes, of fertilityricetea and Sake, of agriculture and industry)

      ^( Myobu- Kitsune in service to Inari, the God of foxes. These are generally the “guardian” Kitsune. While typically colored white, also can be any other color even black, however the white myobu are the “purest” of the Kitsune.)

      ^(A Celestial fox (kitsune) that lives for 1000 years becomes a Tenko. They are able to see a thousand ri ahead. They have nine tails unlike the lower-ranked existences)

      Kira's mother is a Tenko, you can see in the Letharia Vulpina episode, in the history book there are 9 slots where her 9 tails were hidden. (5 were already used.. she used 2 more leaving 2 left :( )

      Void: Also known as the Dark kitsune, Void kitsune are the second of the 'High' kitsune. Void kitsunes are nogitsune'. Reiko.'

      (Nogitsune– wild fox, used at one time to differ between good and bad foxes. At the time they used ‘kitsune’ to mean a good fox/messenger from Inari and nogitsune as all foxes who did mischief and tricked people. Not really considered evil, more like prankish.)

      ^''(A Void fox ('kitsune') can turn into' 'Reiko'(ghost fox) which are the supposed “evil” genus of Kitsune. These are the fox spirits who have indulged in their darker desires and live only to appease themselves. These Kitsune are affiliated with an element referred to as “void”, and generally have a black coat of fur.) While they do not officially bear any grudge against myobu, the Reiko and myobu Kitsune classes do not get along well. '

      Stile's is possesed by a Void kitsune (Reiko), look at this drawing on Stile's wall : ''

      tumblr_inline_mzs75uGetV1qc9jdd.png''

      The rest of the kitsune fall under 'wild kitsune', or 'low' kitsune. They were not singled out, but since these are the other elements found in oriental legends, and in legends of the kami, it is safe to assume that the kitsune also fall under these elements.

      Wind'': Also known as air kitsune, or kuko. Most kuko are considered 'bad'. Kitsune have been known to appear as wind, or create mists or fog.

      Spirit''Kiko or koryo, another of the 'bad' kitsune, also called 'ghost foxes' or demon foxes.

      Fire, Earth, River, Ocean, Mountain, Forest, Thunder, Time, Sound': While these are the other elements that are listed in the orient as 'low' elements, I have no names for the kitsune of these regions. The tanuki and tengu are connected to some of these elements, however, and they can be used to draw parallels.

      Kira is a Thunder kitsune

      (RE-UPLOADED SORRY FOR BLACK FONT ON PREVIOUS POST)

        Loading editor
    • Heaven: Also known as Celestial, or Prime, this is one of the examples of the 'High' elements. They are listed as one of the two most numerous types to exist. They are either considered very evil such as Tamamo-no-mae or benevolent and wise such as messengers to Inari. Most serve Inari. Celestial kitsune are myobu. Tenko

      ^Inari Ōkami (稲荷大神, also Oinari) is the Japanese kami ( god, deity, divinity, or spirit) of foxes, of fertilityricetea and Sake, of agriculture and industry)

      ^( Myobu- Kitsune in service to Inari, the God of foxes. These are generally the “guardian” Kitsune. While typically colored white, also can be any other color even black, however the white myobu are the “purest” of the Kitsune.)

      ^(A Celestial fox (kitsune) that lives for 1000 years becomes a Tenko. They are able to see a thousand ri ahead. They have nine tails unlike the lower-ranked existences)

      Kira's mother is a Tenko, you can see in the Letharia Vulpina episode, in the history book there are 9 slots where her 9 tails were hidden. (5 were already used.. she used 2 more leaving 2 left :( )

      Void: Also known as the Dark kitsune, Void kitsune are the second of the 'High' kitsune. Void kitsunes are nogitsune'. Reiko.'

      (Nogitsune– wild fox, used at one time to differ between good and bad foxes. At the time they used ‘kitsune’ to mean a good fox/messenger from Inari and nogitsune as all foxes who did mischief and tricked people. Not really considered evil, more like prankish.)

      ^''(A Void fox ('kitsune') can turn into' 'Reiko'(ghost fox) which are the supposed “evil” genus of Kitsune. These are the fox spirits who have indulged in their darker desires and live only to appease themselves. These Kitsune are affiliated with an element referred to as “void”, and generally have a black coat of fur.) While they do not officially bear any grudge against myobu, the Reiko and myobu Kitsune classes do not get along well. '

      Stile's is possesed by a Void kitsune (Reiko), look at this drawing on Stile's wall : ''

      tumblr_inline_mzs75uGetV1qc9jdd.png''

      The rest of the kitsune fall under 'wild kitsune', or 'low' kitsune. They were not singled out, but since these are the other elements found in oriental legends, and in legends of the kami, it is safe to assume that the kitsune also fall under these elements.

      Wind'': Also known as air kitsune, or kuko. Most kuko are considered 'bad'. Kitsune have been known to appear as wind, or create mists or fog.

      Spirit''Kiko or koryo, another of the 'bad' kitsune, also called 'ghost foxes' or demon foxes.

      Fire, Earth, River, Ocean, Mountain, Forest, Thunder, Time, Sound': While these are the other elements that are listed in the orient as 'low' elements, I have no names for the kitsune of these regions. The tanuki and tengu are connected to some of these elements, however, and they can be used to draw parallels.

      Kira is a Thunder kitsune

      (RE-UPLOADED SORRY FOR BLACK FONT ON PREVIOUS POST)

        Loading editor
    • Yes, that is from my 1997 document, which has been copied and recopied all over the internet, since it was the first English web page on kitsune.  I was very naive when I wrote it, there's a lot of information which is just 'wrong'.  Ocean, River, Mountain, Forest, Thunder, Time, Sound, Earth, Fire, etc.  Completely wrong.  The idea of three 'prime' elements, and so forth, all wrong.

      Now, that being said, I think the people who wrote this story arc drew a lot from the information I'd put up.  And I'm fine with that.  How they're showing everything in Teen Wolf, I don't see as 'wrong'.  I see it as 'this is their take on the kitsune', and so far, I'm finding it very awesome.  What they've done so far, I consider incredible storytelling, and they're not doing anything I would point at and say 'you're doing it WRONG'.  The elements they've introduced, I could easily see a kitsune doing.

      For example, Nogitsune Styles feeding off the pain that Scott 'ate'?  I can totally see that.  That pain is chi, and the nogitsune is feeding off that chi.  Kira drawing on the electricity?  Certainly, because electricity is chi, and kitsune feed off chi.  All of that fits just fine.

      But yeah, if you're going to decide what kitsune each character is... I'd say step away from the elements, and look at the other method of identifying foxes.  Ghost foxes, red foxes, shrine foxes, etc.

      I've spent over fifteen years studying kitsune, Shinto, and Japanese mysticism, and my views on kitsune have evolved a lot since that article in 1997.  :)

        Loading editor
    • Kira's mother is a Tenko.. Stile's is possesed by a Reiko

        Loading editor
    • kira is a thunder #letharia vulpina         how she stopped that cord of electricity

        Loading editor
    • Styles is definately a Void Kitsune, remember the riddle? "Everyone has it, but no one can lose it" Also, he was attacked by the Masked Shadow guys they had no impact on him which could also indicate he is very old and powerful. 

        Loading editor
    • Kira is Thunder Kitsune because thunder is the closest thing that was listed at the top to lightning.  I would highly suggest that Stiles' is the Void Nogitsune.  I was thinking Nogitsune was somehow a misspelling of Kitsune, but I guess Nogitsune is the word for the evil inside Stiles.

        Loading editor
    • i have read on some sites that becoming a kitsune is hareditary and kiras mom had the one incodent with the light bulb and can summon oni / make the oni stronger so a good question would be is it posable that kiras mom is also a kitsune that is what i want to know 

        Loading editor
    • 69.165.156.129 wrote:
      Kira's mother is a Tenko.. Stile's is possesed by a Reiko

      i think u mean tengoku and this makes alot of sence and in the episode where kiras mom is face to face with stiles and they talk as if they have known eachouther for years and had a fight at one time

        Loading editor
    • Wow thats good research! >.< 

      Haha, I don't know. I guess we'll see in the show...which is TONIGHT! 

        Loading editor
    • Looks like it's Thunder! Confirmed on tonight's episode.

        Loading editor
    • I WAS RIGHT! MUHAHAHAHA. ~KLP

        Loading editor
    • I knew she was thunder.  that's why I can't believe people actually thought she was fire just because lighting burns things like fire.  *facepalm*

        Loading editor
    • so whats specie is her mother? i will supose spirit

        Loading editor
    • Bottom line, this is all a Jeff Davis twist on the original known lore. She might be a Thunder-Celestial-Half-Demon-Fox girl if Jeff writes it in. All I'm saying is to take this Kitsune stuff with an healthy (Or unheatly) dose of salt :) 

        Loading editor
    • But what is Kira's mom?

        Loading editor
    • Well since she brought the spirit of the Nogitsune from whereever it came from, i'd imagine that she would be a Celestial Kitsune.

        Loading editor
    • why did the nogitsune choose stiles?

        Loading editor
    • It would have to be the Sanda Kistune wouldn't it? Because in The Fox and the Wolf, Noshiko called Kira a thunder kitsune.

        Loading editor
    • I think Arashi is right -- unless Kira's mom is a time kitsune (because there's been awful lot of timey wimey stuff this season!)

        Loading editor
    • kira=sanda/stiles=void /pretty easy seeing as they refered to stiles as the void like 15 times per episode since they found out 

        Loading editor
    • loving the lore, hating the lack of special effects for the foxes. havent seen tails. havent seen an offensive fox fire. lame. lame. lame

        Loading editor
    • I think it's all actually pretty well done. I like it.

        Loading editor
    • have any of you realized that stiles is sneaky and is making traps that they seem to get themselfs into without even thinking about it.he is manipulating them and tricking them.for all we know stiles may have all 13 elements.yes its confusing but hes trying to buy more time. havent you people realized

        Loading editor
    • and when she has a photo taken of her, her photos are on fire which could mean that she is both a sanda and a kasai.

        Loading editor
    • Zenko kasai is Kira because she uses fox fire, that's why she has the fire around her in pictures. Her mom tells her in one of the episodes.

        Loading editor
    • It's not fire around her as we see in episode 4 of season 3b when Scott looks at her with Alpha vision, it's aura as Derek says in the following episode which Kira doesn't know how to hide yet.

        Loading editor
    • im super excited for monday, i cant wait to learn more about kira im pretty sur she is kasai but we just have to wait and see!!

        Loading editor
    • I think Kira could either be fire or thunder kitsune because she makes light and storms so she couldbe either and if thunder includes lighting then I defs thinks kira is thunder

        Loading editor
    • 108.201.172.92 wrote:
      LadyX wrote:
      I'm thinking Kira is either a Zenko Kasai (Fire) or Zenko Sanda (Thunder)

      Stiles, I figure is probably Kukan (Void), like they mentioned on the show. Seishin (Spirit), is a possibility too though, as is Jikan (Time). I can put into words why I was drawn to Seishin, other than Druids, and Banshees, have a lot to do with spirits. But Jikan has to do with time, and time seems very malleable in dreams in general, and in this season. Stiles also has been blacking out and 'losing time' so that might be possible.

      Something else to consider, the more I think about it, would be Mori (Forest) because all this started up when they woke up the Nemeton, in the forest. Btw, do we know when the Nemeton was cut down and by whom? Maybe, and this is only a theory that just popped in my head, when the Nemeton got cut down, it ticked off/released a Mori, that proceeded to possess Claudia, it somehow got retied to the tree after Claudia died, and once they rewoke it up it possessed Stiles? I know, it sounds weird and out there, and probably makes no sense outside of my own mind

      Wow, that's a legitimate theory. Your guess is as good as anyones until it's seen on the show, who knows, you could be 100% correct lol. I believe Kira is Sanda (Thunder) as well, based off of the electrical incident with Barron. I have no clue what species Stiles is being controlled by, my best guesses are Kukan (Void), Mori (Forest), or Jikan (Time), but it could be any of the 13. 




      Ok as I said before, I agree with ladyx with kira being thunder or fire for every reason and more and I agree with you cuz when in the episode called "Riddled" Stiles is trapped in one of those animal traps, has leaves blowing everywhere and is found in a coyote den. So I agree with Forest or Void nogitsune



        Loading editor
    • Pretty sure they already said she was thunder

        Loading editor
    • 108.201.172.92 wrote: In Japanese mythology, there exist 2 different classifications and 13 different species of kitsune. 

      Classifications - Zenko (Literal meaning, "good foxes"), benevolent, celestial foxes associated with the god Inari, sometimes called Inari foxes, (i.e., Kira) and Yako (Literal meaning, "field foxes", commonly referred to as nogitsune), mischievous or even malicious foxes. (i.e., Stiles) Physically, kitsunes are noted for having 9 tails. Generally, a greater number of tails indicates an older, more powerful kitsune. (In some folktales say a kitsune will grow additional tails after it has lived 100 years) 1, 7, and 9 are the most common numbers in folktales. When a kitsune gains its 9th tail, its fur becomes gold or white. These kyubi no kitsune (Literal meaning, "nine-tailed foxes) gain the ability to see and hear anything happening anywhere in the world. Other tales attribute to infinite wisdom. (Omniscience) 

      Species -The kitsune are an aspect of the elements, meaning that they have ties to their abilities from each of these. The elements are broken down into 13 categories and the kitsune are divided into each type: Kaze (Wind), Chikyu (Earth), Kasai (Fire), Kawa (River), Tengoku (Heaven), Sanda (Thunder), Yama (Mountain), Kukan (Void), Seishin (Spirit), Jikan (Time), Mori (Forest), Umi (Ocean), and Ongaku (Music). Each kitsune has its own strength and weaknesses, based on the element it is assigned to. The element reflects where the kitsune's power originates, what affinities it has in the elements. For example, a Fire Kitsune (Zenko Kasai) would be unaffected by fire, could easily feed from the element of fire to strengthen itself, and would use fox fire with ease. However, a water kitsune (Zenko Umi) would not use fire too well, but would be a natural healer, and would thrive near or in water. 

      With all of this being said, what do you think Kira's species is? Stiles? Will we see more kitsunes/nogitsunes?

      If you are interested in learning more about kitsunes/nogitsunes, please click here. :) A kudos for all the research would be appreciated lol.

      -- KLP

      She is a thunder kitsune

        Loading editor
    • Trent.schulte73 wrote: Kira is Thunder Kitsune because thunder is the closest thing that was listed at the top to lightning.  I would highly suggest that Stiles' is the Void Nogitsune.  I was thinking Nogitsune was somehow a misspelling of Kitsune, but I guess Nogitsune is the word for the evil inside Stiles.

      nosgitsune is an evil trickster fox spirt, called to create chaos and strife

        Loading editor
    • 108.201.172.92 wrote:
      Lilsavo527 wrote:
      i really like this because the nogitsune that the oni were after in silverfinger (when chris argent was younger) went behind the water fountain so maybe it was kawa or something? 
      Me too. :) If he was possessed by a water nogitsune, it would be Kawa Yako.

      nogitsune isn't Kawa Yako. it is Kukan. which makes it the void

        Loading editor
    • 78.62.227.24
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message

Around Wikia's network

Random Wiki