Last Day of Teen Wolf
Monday, March 13, 2017, marked the end of principal photography on MTV’s Teen Wolf. Cast and crew members gathered early in the morning for a family photo and then got down to work on the remaining shots for their sixth and final season.
Among those finishing up work on the show Monday were Tyler Posey, Holland Roden, Dylan Sprayberry, Shelley Hennig, Ryan Kelley and Khylin Rhambo. Each shared a portion of their final day with fans via social media. Rhambo actually showed off a new Teen Wolf tattoo he got to mark his time in the series.
- “Thank you Teen Wolf family for the best three years of my life. I feel like I've come alive since you've been in my life and I'm forever grateful. To the fans: I have never met such a passionate and clever group. You kill me every day with your undying love for the show and for me and Malia. Thank you, Jeff Davis, for the creation of Malia. I ugly cry while typing this because she made my life remarkable since she awoke in the woods naked.”
Teen Wolf News documented much of the day via Twitter – visit https://twitter.com/i/moments/841754431918071809
7 Years, 1 Month, 13 Days
2598 days ago, a cast of relative unknowns gathered in Atlanta, Georgia to begin filming a small part of a Teen Wolf TV pilot episode. As showrunner Jeff Davis remembers it, they didn't do a full pilot because MTV didn’t know if remaking a 1980s B-comedy about a teen werewolf would actually work.
- “The network ordered a presentation pilot which can usually feel more like a sizzle reel than a story. So we did our best to condense it down to a manageable script leaving out most of the fifth and sixth acts.”
There were very few people who believed this show would ever make it on the air, and, even once the show got picked up to series, nobody expected it would still be going seven years later. Davis explains why he believes the show lasted this long.
- “I just wanted to write something entertaining that would scare people and make them laugh. That’s what I stuck to. I believe that goal, of being entertaining first, is probably what led to its success. While we’ve never been a ratings smash, our fans are incredibly loyal and passionate.”
Last Shots of Teen Wolf
Before they called final wrap, TWN talked to Jeff Davis about what they filmed on their last day of principal photography.
- “Looking at the current schedule the last thing we’re supposed to film is an insert shot of Scott’s suitcases being loaded into Stiles’ Jeep which is now his. That’s a scene from the first episode of 6B. You can probably guess he doesn’t get far.”
Scott’s exit from Beacon Hills is interrupted by more supernatural shenanigans on which hang the last ten episodes.
While that suitcase "insert" is the last thing on their schedule, the final scene involving actors is a part of the penultimate episode of the series. “The last two actors to film an actual scene will be Holland Roden and Tyler Posey shooting a scene from 619.” The scene takes place in what appears to be a parking lot full of shipping containers. Dozens of actors, crew members, and producers (current and former) gathered to watch the final scene.
There is much more to see and read about the last days of Teen Wolf, including the cake celebrating their 100th episode and Ryan Kelley’s shirtless goodbye to Jeff Davis. Visit https://creators.co/@PaulVRea for that and more.
Gerard Is Back For Final Episodes
Executive Producer Jeff Davis tells Teen Wolf News exclusively that fan-favorite baddie Gerard Argent (Michael Hogan) will be among several characters to return when the final episodes air this summer.
“I love Michael Hogan,” says Davis, “he plays a critical role in Season 6B.” The Teen Wolf creator may well be the actor’s biggest fan. In addition to bringing him back to his MTV show, Davis cast Hogan in his recent pilot for Let The Right One In at TNT.
Hated Werewolf Hunter
Hogan - known for his work on cable series' Fargo and 12 Monkeys - is reprising the Teen Wolf role he created in 2012. Gerard debuted in the show’s second season and quickly established himself as the “evil grandpa” fans love to hate. At one point, he had to beat up Dylan O’Brien’s character on screen. The scene resulted in threats against Hogan from irate fans on social media.
After his violent spree in Season 2, Hogan’s character returned in seasons three and five as a slightly less-murdery supernatural historian. Gerard's motives remained selfish, but he did manage to help defeat a couple of the show’s other Big Bads.
Hogan joins Tyler Hoechlin and Dylan O’Brien on the growing list of actors returning to Teen Wolf for one last go in the final season.
This story first appeared at https://creators.co/@PaulVRea
Saturn Awards Voting Continues
The members of The Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror Films continue to cast their votes for this year’s Saturn Awards. While Teen Wolf has three nominations this season, Teen Wolf Wikia and Teen Wolf News have focused effort on a campaign to reward Linden Ashby for his stellar supporting actor work in the first half of Season 6.
This has resulted in some criticism in that we did not offer the same level of hype to Ian Bohen who is nominated for Best Guest Performance in a Television Series. Two things are at play in our decision to offer full-throated support of Ashby and not Bohen.
1. Bohen’s performance, while praise-worthy, was pretty much what we’ve always come to expect from him in this role. You can blame it on the material, but he just wasn’t given much with which to truly shine.
2. Bohen is also up against Tyler Hoechlin in the same category. If we’re being honest (as opposed to simply being loyal to the fandom), Hoechlin’s turn as Superman is iconic. He deserves to be awarded for it. There’s also the fact that (being loyal) it’s impossible to pick one Hale over the other.
However, in light of the criticism, we’ve put together a “For Your Consideration” ad for Ian Bohen too. It’s tongue-in-cheek, but I think that fits with both his and his character’s personalities.
Coming off a Rough Year, Colton Haynes Gets Engaged
Colton Haynes, star of Teen Wolf and Arrow, is getting hitched. The proposal this weekend in Mexico included fireworks and an appearance by Cher. Haynes is coming off a rough year, including coming clean about suffering from depression and anxiety because of his sexuality. Since coming out in 2016, he’s happier than ever before.
Who’s The Lucky Guy?
The groom-to-be is Jeff Leatham (46), a florist to the stars in Los Angeles. He and Haynes announced their relationship last month on Valentine’s Day.
- “It’s not every day that someone comes into your life & makes you want to be a better man. I feel so blessed to be by your side.”
The couple’s engagement came during a vacation getaway to Las Ventanas al Paraiso in Cabo San Lucas. They documented their romantic night on their Instagram Stories.
Leatham apparently popped the question with a candlelit pathway decorated with rose petals that led to a red heart, also made out of roses.
A pre-engagement video included Cher singing "I Got You Babe," much to Haynes delight.
Colton Haynes Happy At Last
Colton Haynes hid his sexuality for more than a decade as his career took off.
- “I feel really bad that I had to lie for so long, but I was told that was the only way I was going to be successful. When you’re young in this industry, people take advantage of you, and they literally tell you that your dreams are going to come true. If you believe that, you’ll do anything. And you do believe it, especially if you’re from Kansas.”
His double life led to anxiety issues that eventually overwhelmed the actor and led to his exit from Teen Wolf and then from Arrow. The anxiety, combined with a bad breakup from a cheating boyfriend, resulted in a complete mental breakdown.
Since coming out and seeking treatment with a therapist, Haynes's life changed dramatically. In addition to his blossoming relationship, he has a small part in the new Scarlett Johansson/Kate McKinnon flick Rough Night. He also recently announced talks to return to both Teen Wolf and Arrow.
What’s Next For The Happy Couple?
There’s been no wedding date announced and no hints at where the couple plans to live. Currently, Haynes and Leatham are basking in the afterglow of the proposal and aren’t talking about those kinds of details.
You can bet Haynes will keep fans posted via his Instagram. He and Leatham are both prolific IG users with more than six million followers between them.
This article first appeared at https://creators.co/@PaulVRea/4224304